Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Chance Encounters


In the last few days I have met some people from my past.
Going through some ancient photos, which Amma had dug up, I met a bratty 9-year-old with two long braids who cried when she came “third in class”, who loved to participate in recitation contests and was part of the school choir.
While collecting a belated wedding gift which P, a school friend now in the States had left behind for me in Hyderabad, I met the giggly 17-year-old who could not wink to save her life. So she would always end up losing while playing “Killer” with the other girls in the school playground during lunch break.
While catching up with school pals or parents of school pals at close friend’s wedding, I met the 18-year-old who hated calculus and trigonometry with a vengeance and so dropped maths before her final exam, thereby killing any chance of her doing economics in college.
However, at the same wedding I also met the 25-year-old who lived in up Bombay with the other three members of her “awesome foursome” gang, who hopped across to Lonavla, Ganpatipule, Harihareshwar at the drop of a hat, who she planned to go on a Eurorail trip with. But now with all of them married and scattered across the country, she wonders if that trip will ever happen.
While playing a prank on the bride, an old college pal, I also came across the 21-year-old who sat at the breakfast table in the hostel mess where the idea for the prank had taken shape in the heads of some third- and second-years whose breakfast consisted of veg nashta and non-veg jokes.
While watching Rang De Basanti, I met the 19-year-old who used to breeze about Delhi, Gurgaon, Jaipur alongwith her dudette gal pals without a care in the world.
A few weeks ago, singing along to Sweet Child of Mine, I met the jilted 23-year-old who thought she could never ever bear to listen to that song again as its associations wrenched open her heart each time she did.
Today I heard that R, cousin who I was very close to in the past but have fallen out of touch with, is expecting. Then I met the 12-year-old who had a crush on RI, the guy that even R fancied. Twelve years later when RI had just finished tying the mangalsutra around R’s neck, she pulled this other girl close and told her brand-new hubby, “You know, she used to have a crush on you as well and I’m sorry I never let anything happen between you both!” Mortified at this untimely revelation, the other girl willed for the earth to open up and swallow her, but that did not happen.
Yes, I have met some rather interesting people from my past.

15 Comments:

Blogger SwB said...

What the-!! Is it really you, J?

If is is, damn good to see you again :)

*tight hug*

8:52 PM  
Blogger afishcalledgoonda said...

hey SWB...it's great to see you as well :-)

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

..what happened to the girl who howled on the eve of her sweet sixteen becoz she didnt have a boyfriend


sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

8:06 AM  
Blogger shub said...

and tis a nice journey you took us along Fishy....lovely :)

11:21 AM  
Blogger DiTtY said...

It's funny how even I always looked at who-I-used-to-be as another girl! :)

*sigh*

Lovely read, Goonda! :) Beautifully written! And I want details of the prank hatched over veg nashta!!!! :)

5:58 PM  
Blogger Kraz Arkin said...

I searched and I searched after you came and left a comment without a url (ok perhaps not that much) and finally am here via Cyn's blog...and am I glad.

7:16 PM  
Blogger afishcalledgoonda said...

cynic: shhhh, not to be washing my durty linen in public.

hiren: thanks

shubh: :-) yup it was an interesting journey only

ditty: thankee..and GRIN, will recount prank at another veg-nashta-nonveg-joke session

kraz: oooops...actually that must have been my prev url. changed the name after that, so confucious must have prevailed.

9:01 PM  
Blogger DiTtY said...

You've been tagged! :) Please play along!:) Many thanks!

8:52 PM  
Blogger Aqua said...

hii...how was I's wedding...i missed it coz of damn tyhoid! we want more details of prank played on bride...:)

11:32 AM  
Blogger AmitL said...

Hi,Barodawaasi...nice to see another post,and,quite a neat idea,recalling people u've met in the past.After reading ur experiences,I'm now busy trying to recall the interesting people I've met in my life...*muses*.Perhaps a post will come up from me one of these days,too?

3:24 PM  
Blogger Bishwanath Ghosh said...

You got a very nice blog. Very beautifully-written pieces: read some of them. And you seem to love Pancham too. :)

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Homesick for a lifestage which has passed child.

1:28 PM  
Blogger afishcalledgoonda said...

so??? whats wrong with being nostalgic???

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! »

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Pure smart replacement water filters saab owners forum Commercial insurance brokers australia Having problems graphics card screen diazepam pill inject Paintball guns that don't hurt diazepam ingredients advisor association canadian financial insurance Shemale photo gallery Ceap fluoxetine pills online http://www.insurance-3.info Bontril cod orders Cedar creek lake camping online program texas university erowid diazepam valium vault chemistry natural product with valium effects

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home